LOS ANGELES COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT
Adjunct – FY20 Women’s Volleyball Coach
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE: Open Until Filled
The Los Angeles Community College District (LACCD) is the largest community college district in the United States and one of the largest in the world. The LACCD is comprised of nine colleges serving all or part of more than 40 cities in Southern California and spanning a service area of 882 square miles. Its colleges offer instruction to 225,000 students, annually, in 600 associates’ degree and 400 certificate of achievement programs in general, career-technical and transfer education, and contribute significantly to the economic and social well-being of its students, the regional economy and the greater Los Angeles area. For more information about the LACCD, please visit our website at www.laccd.edu.
The LACCD is accepting applications for Women’s Volleyball Coach positions at our Colleges for the 2019-2020 Academic School Year. The purpose of this posting is to create a pool of qualified applicants so that when there is an actual opening at a one of our colleges, the college can then begin their review process by reviewing those applicants. If you have applied to previous pools in this discipline, you will need to apply to this pool to continue to be considered.
The LACCD is seeking dynamic, motivated and diverse candidates for part-time faculty positions to engage and educate our students. Successful candidates will collaborate, communicate and work as professionals with students, staff, faculty and administrators. Applicants with a demonstrated commitment to teaching and mentoring a diverse student population are strongly encouraged to apply.
During completion of the adjunct application, applicants will have the opportunity to indicate which of LACCD’s colleges are of interest for employment. Qualified applicants may be offered an interview with Kinesiology/Athletic Departmental members at one or more of LACCD’s 9 colleges. For college locations, please visit the Our Colleges page at http://laccd.edu/About/Pages/Our-Colleges.aspx. Final determination of part-time Women's Volleyball Coach assignment is contingent upon enrollment, funding and class availability.
Under the direction of the Athletic Director and the Vice President of Student Services, the Head Volleyball coach provides leadership, direction, and oversees all coaching for an intercollegiate Volleyball Program operating under the California Community College Athletic Association. Must adhere to Los Angeles Community College District rules and regulations. Must support the student-athlete concept and demonstrate concern for the health, safety, and welfare of each student-athlete. Must support, encourage, and monitor student-athletes’ academic progress. Additional duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics.
- Bachelor’s degree and two years of professional experience, which must be directly related to the teaching assignment.
- OR Associate’s degree and six years of professional experience, which must be directly related to the teaching assignment.
- A sensitivity to and an understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- The adjunct Coach should be prepared to Coach a range of Athletics within the Kinesiology/Athletic discipline, promoting engaging and inclusive educational environments that support student learning. The successful candidate will be culturally responsive in interactions with students, faculty, staff, and community members who span a diverse range of languages, nationalities and ethnicities, socio-economic levels, ages, identities, abilities and educational experiences.
- Recruitment of players- scout, identify, and recommend student athletes in such a manner that encourages diversity, while maintaining a competitive team.
- Instructional- standard instructional responsibilities for one or more classes in the Athletics Department: classroom instruction, develop and assess student learning outcomes, class roster management and timely submission of grades, and other duties as an instructor.
- Academic success of student athletes – monitor the academic progress of student athletes and assist in ensuring academic success.
- Rules compliance – manages the Volleyball Program in full compliance with CCCAA, LACCD Board rules and administrative regulations, and the Athletics Department policies and procedures.
- Athletic Operations- scheduling contests, plan and supervision of practices, games and travel, assist in hiring assistant coaches.
- Community and university involvement – perform public relations functions promoting athletes in a positive manner to the media, alumni, and community. Work collaboratively with college administration to cultivate and promote donor relations to ensure the fund raising efforts are successful. Maintain positive relationships with all feeder programs.
- Fiscal management- conduct fundraising activities for the volleyball program as needed in collaboration with for the Athletic Department. Ensure the Volleyball Program and its staff execute their professional duties in a fiscally responsible manner in compliance with CCCAA, LACCD Board rules and administrative regulations, and the Athletics Department policies and procedures.
- Attending department meetings.
- Other Athletic related activities as assigned by the Athletic Director.
- Master’s degree in coaching, sports management, athletic administration, kinesiology or exercise science, sports Administration, sports psychology, education, student affairs/development and two years of professional basketball coaching experience;
- Experience with the student success programs in a community college setting;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community;
- Ability to understand, follows, and enforces safety procedures;
- Knowledge and understanding of all aspects of the specified sports program;
- Knowledge of athletic recruitment methods and techniques;
- Skill in budget preparation and fiscal management;
- Ability to lead and guide student-athletes in area of specialty;
- Knowledge of , and guidelines governing the recruitment and retention of student-athletes;
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment;
- Ability to make administrative/procedural decisions and judgments;
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Knowledge of financial/business analysis techniques.
Coaches Stipends are paid as recurring payments for the months of September, October and November. Total Stipends will amount to $13,335 and 2 off - season conditioning classes paid at the contractual hourly rate.
Applicants will be required to file the application using web-based software to create an applicant profile account, allowing documents to be saved and uploaded as attachments. Please go to https://laccd.csod.com/ats/careersite/search.aspx?site=6&c=laccd to file the application. After review of application materials by selection committee(s), applicants will be contacted if selected for interview(s).
For consideration in the selection process, all interested applicants must submit the following:
1. Letter of interest that describes the applicant’s interest in the position and details why the applicant is a good fit for the position;
2. Current resume that summarizes how the applicant meets the qualifications of the position;
3. Contact information for three (3) professional references;
4. Copies of undergraduate and graduate transcripts; if invited to interview, candidate should be prepared to provide official transcripts;
a. Note: All degrees must be granted by an accredited college or university in the United States. Transcripts from a foreign institution must be submitted with an approved evaluation of equivalency from a foreign evaluation service approved by California Commission on Teaching Credentialing.
Application materials will not be accepted by Fax, Mail or Email. Incomplete applications may be excluded from consideration. Equivalency determinations are not conducted for selection of adjunct faculty.
Employment is contingent upon verification of qualifications. LACCD and its Colleges reserve the right to modify and/or withdraw this position at any time. Final determination of part-time faculty assignments is contingent upon enrollment, funding and/or class availability.
Applications are being accepted until the position is filled.
For additional information, please contact AcademicJobs@email.laccd.edu.
Individuals protected by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) may request an accommodation in the selection/interview process with at least three business days prior notice. Documentation of the need for accommodation may be requested.
Equal Employment Policy
The policy of the Los Angeles Community College District is to implement equal opportunity to all qualified candidates for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, creed, sex, pregnancy, age, disability, marital status, medical condition (cancer related), sexual orientation, or veteran status. Positive action will be taken to ensure that this policy is followed in all personnel practices including recruitment, hiring, placement, upgrading, transfer, demotion, and treatment during employment, rate of pay or other forms of compensation, selection for training, layoff or termination. A vigorous equal employment opportunity program will be maintained to ensure a diverse work force and to achieve expected representation of qualified members of under-represented groups through the implementation of specific result-oriented plans and procedures (Board Rule 101301).
The Los Angeles Community College District (LACCD) is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Educator